Sunday, November 13, 2022

Beth's next lecture: Proust and Art on Zoom, November 15 at 5 pm, hosted by Alliance Française de Greenwich and Byram Shubert Library

 


Jacques-Emile Blanche, Portrait of Marcel Proust, 1892



Beth Gersh-Nesic on "Proust and Art"
hosted by the Alliance Française de Greenwich and Byram Shubert Library
at Byram Shubert Library, on Zoom
Please register here

Please just us!


Dear Friends,
You do not have to read, or have read, Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time (1913-1927) to understand this lecture. I will try to give you a quick intro to the text and the author, presenting artwork as illustrations. I will place the novel within the period of art history contemporary to its story. Then I will go into how the writer uses art to describe characters, places and taste. And, finally, I will describe Proust's meditation on art, time and "truth," which concerned the avant-garde artists of the early twentieth century.

I hope you will join me - and please bring questions/comments for our Q and A.
Warm wishes,
Beth

Beth S. Gersh-Nesic, PhD
Director/owner

No comments: